Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Worst Day Ever!

Today started out GREAT! The three of us went to the gym and ran multiple errands. Rylee was a trooper and only took a short 10 minute nap in the car. Brody was a breeze and just went with the flow. As we pulled up to our last destination at 6:00pm, little did we know this GREAT day was going to turn out to be the WORST day ever. It was going to be a quick "get in and get out" at the store. Rylee was in the basket (a no no, I know, hey she has great balance...guess it runs in the family) and Brody was fast asleep in his car seat on the seat where Rylee should be sitting. We were having a good time until Rylee leaned into the checkout counter and I pulled the cart in the opposite direction and she did the most graceful front flip in the history of falling. It seemed to happen in slow motion. I just couldn't move fast enough to SAVE her. I yelled, "Oh #%@&!" and the manager came running over asking if there was anything she could do, like an ice pack. I told her no, while I was consoling Rylee who was screaming hysterically. I thought to myself, "She's ok, she's just shocked from the fall, no big deal". Then I realized she wasn't stopping with the SCREAMING inside the store. I decided to finish up the transaction and look at it in the car. Rylee would not let go of her arm. It appeared to look slightly swollen and deformed, but it is so hard to tell on funchy little kids unless it is a big bad break. Since she was guarding her arm and wouldn't let it go (except when I pried her hand off it) I decided to go to the ER. "Yippee" I sarcastically thought to myself, "I get to go to work while I'm on maternity leave". So I decided to call Jon at work and he agreed to meet us in the ER. I felt absolutely terrible. We took some xrays (which was like torture) and sure enough she had a little buckle in her radius. Thank goodness it wasn't displaced and only needed a splint for the time being. We left with a fracture eval appointment to get a cast the next day. She did a great job and chose PINK, of course!!!

1 comments:

Angie said...

So sorry to hear about your terrible day! I know the feeling since I have been to the ER 3 times with Chase ( broke foot twice, 1 completely broken humerous). You feel so bad for them and want to take away the pain, but can't! Hopefully she recovers quickly! Good luck with everything!